Thursday, September 18, 2014

I ♥ STL mini quilt!

Introducing the I ♥ STL mini quilt!
I finished this quilt late last week, just in time to enter it for the STLMQG Celebrate St. Louis challenge at this month's meeting.
I used the same patchwork applique technique I'd previously used on the Texas and California pillows to create the Missouri and Gateway Arch designs. The quilt measures 20" square.
The background is a patchwork of low-volume fabrics. To top it off, I added a heart over St. Louis. I'd originally planned to make the heart royal blue, but then the hubs pointed out that yellow would be close to the colors in the city flag, so I made the switch (I think for the beter).
I quilted it in white using randomly spaced diagonal lines (apparently my preferred aesthetic for these state projects). The backing is Half Moon Modern Big Dots in Ruby, and I bound it using Dear Stella's Confetti Dot in Scarlet (my current favorite dot -- love all the colors it comes in!). Definitely a fun challenge and a good excuse to add a little mini to my sewing wall.

4 comments:

  1. this is so cool! I have to admit to not knowing what it was until I'd read the post, but then I'm not from America so I hope I can be excused! Even so, it caught my eye, I love the way you did the appliqued shapes

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super cool. You've inspired me to make a Missouri appliqué pillow or wallhanging (not sure which) ever since I spotted your original post for the Texas pillow. The project is on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, Jessica! Is it your own pattern design? Your fabric choices are perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)