Thursday, January 8, 2015

Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins

I've been craving cranberries since before Christmas, and I always stock up on bags of fresh ones as soon as they appear in the stores around Thanksgiving (they freeze really well). When I got the itch to make muffins a few nights ago, I decided to combine them with a can of pumpkin that was lingering in my pantry and came across this recipe from Taste of Home, which I adapted to make tastier and healthier (lowered the sugar and oil, bumped up the pumpkin and spices, added vanilla -- because, duh). These babies are super moist and tasty. I used frozen cranberries, but I suspect dried would work well, too. I don't think I'd regret adding some cinnamon chips either, if that's your thing.
Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins
Adapted from Taste of Home

Yield: 18 muffins

Ingredients:

    2-1/4 cups (9 oz.) white whole-wheat flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
    1-15 oz.  can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
    1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    1-1/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
    1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Directions:
    1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 18 muffin cups or add paper liners and set aside.

    2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.

    3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugars, pumpkin, vanilla, and coconut oil.

    4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until blended. Fold in the cranberries and pecans.

    5. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups, filling each three-quarters full.

    6. Bake, rotating the muffin tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in the muffin centers comes out clean, 18-22 minutes. Transfer the muffins to a wire cooling rack and cool completely. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)