Friday, May 8, 2015

Fancy Fox quilt: A finish!

Here it is, Fancy Fox!
This quilt has been on my to-do list for so long, since before I made the mini fox quilts last summer. I decided the best way to tackle it sometime soon was to make it easier on myself and use the large fox blocks (these finish at 20" x 24"), which meant I could make a child-size quilt with just four blocks. This quilt came together so fast!
For the fox faces, I used four Carolyn Friedlander prints (Architextures Crosshatch in cadet and tangerine, Botanics Graph Paper Garden in blue, and Doe Droplet in carrot). I loved the blue and orange color scheme, and I didn't want the prints to read too childish. The background is Essex Yarn Dyed in Chambray. Its light blue color works so well with the fox fabrics and adds just a little something different. I used a navy dot from my stash (an old Michael Miller, maybe?) for the binding, and I pieced the backing using several more blue and orange fabrics from my stash. I quilted it in wavy, organic lines using white thread.
This quilt is part of one of the STLMQG's charity projects this year, which will be donating quilts to Project Linus. I know they are often short on quilts for boys and older kids, so I'm hoping this will help to fill one or both of those needs. I love our cute little guild labels.
I might just have to make another one of these in a few months. Perhaps try out the gigantic block for a bigger quilt?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for commenting. (All comments are moderated, so it may take a little while for yours to appear. Just hit "Publish," and I'll take care of the rest.)